SpotHero is looking for a Senior Android Engineer who is excited to lead our merry band of Android fans into new territory. We need someone who can balance pushing the envelope on the New Hotness with stability, who’s ready to work with our backend and design teams to make the user’s experience buttery smooth, and who’s ready to help the rest of our Android team continue to learn and grow. If you’re an active user of SpotHero, we’d love to hear your feedback on the app, too!
Who we are: SpotHero is one of Chicago’s hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve a convenient, affordable parking on-the-go or in advance, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
Our Android Stack is: Kotlin and XML (standard for Android apps) using MVI architecture (still working on refactoring old views), our database layer is built in Realm. We also make heavy use of Dagger, RxJava, Espresso (testing). Network stack uses Retrofit.
Our Web Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python, the Frontend is React. We are starting to extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and Go. Our Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Docker, Kubernetes and Kafka.
What kind of person are you?
- Curious and a hungry learner
- A Problem Solver
- Ability to collaborate
- You own your work
- You are a technical educator not a technical dictator
What you will be doing:
- Help forge our Android code standards as we move into the future.
- Continue to stabilize and modernize our existing codebase.
- Make clear recommendations for long-term technical decisions, such as potential new languages or other major tools.
- Work with an Android-obsessed product owner and a mobile team who’s super-excited about Android development to deliver an awesome, Material-compliant Android experience to our users.
- Ensure our Apps are well tested
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 3+ years of experience developing Android applications (point the plural)
- An experienced Android engineer who’s Seen It All. You remember the days when the Support Library was but a fever dream every time you typed Build.VERSION.SDK_INT.
- You’ve helped every team you’ve been on to bring best practices into play, especially those which focus on keeping the app working well for the user.
- You’re able to collaborate and work efficiently as part of a team, particularly with design, backend and iOS.
- You’re flexible rather than dogmatic around the best ways to build, but you do appreciate a good code standards argument about where an interface should be placed in its containing class.
- You have a strong desire to help others learn, through both traditional teaching methods and through constructive code review.
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining native Android Applications (point us to your apps on Google Play if you can!).
- Experience with Android Architecture Components
- Deep understanding of the Android SDK, particularly the Application and Fragment life cycles.
- Experience with unit testing (preferably using JUnit 4) and UI testing (preferably using Espresso).
- Solid understanding of the Material Design guidelines, and an ability to converse intelligently about them with the design team.
Nice to haves:
- Experience speaking or writing about code.
- Built any Gradle plugins or other development tools.
- Experience developing in Kotlin and/or RxAndroid.
- Experience developing homescreen widgets.
- Experience developing Android Wear and/or Android Auto applications.
- Experience in the care and feeding of Continuous Integration servers.
- Crazy stories about supporting obscure Android devices and/or horror stories about Eclipse..
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, 401k retirement savings plan, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.
- We are considering applications for this position from candidates not located in Chicago. However, you must be able and willing to travel to Chicago on a quarterly basis.