SpotHero is looking for Senior Backend Engineers to join the Drivers League - we build products for all of SpotHero’s Drivers! The Senior Engineer, Backend contributes to the codebase by following set standards and successfully completing stories while maintaining effective communication within product/engineering teams, as well as with other internal and applicable external stakeholders.
The Drivers League at SpotHero is responsible for all aspects of the driver's experience. This league is responsible for building Heroic experiences on both the web (desktop and mobile) and native mobile apps (Android & iOS). We don’t stop there, we also strive to create a painless experience while parking at garages. This League cares about quality and SpotHero’s value of #GiveDriversTheRightOfWay, which means to us that we take the Hero in our name seriously, and we go the extra mile to make sure our drivers have an experience we're proud of.
Who we are:
At SpotHero, we work as a team to empower people to get everywhere, easier! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use SpotHero’s mobile app and website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on the go, or through their connected cars. Parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
- Writing Code
- Be a hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features supporting the engineering organization's technical strategy.
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- Problem Solving
- Identify areas for improvement and innovation within the squad ecosystem by investigating and proposing new technologies and/or best practices, and leading the charge on implementing them.
- Collaborate with others
- Provide code review and empathetic, thoughtful feedback to peers, Engineer I, Engineer II and Engineer III level team members, assisting these team members in producing code that meets set standards and supports their development as Engineers.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the team, including product management, to deliver quality products with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Collaborate with all senior and staff level engineers to explore options and help define architecture and design across the engineering organization.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
- Ownership of the codebase, maintaining it and ensuring it runs consistently.
- Collect operational data for their products and use it as a basis for suggesting stability and performance improvements.
- Proficient at provisioning new infrastructure across environments.
- Write documentation on what the squad plans to do, is doing and has completed.
- Participate in an on-call support rotation.
We care about your abilities, not how you gained them.
You might demonstrate the capabilities below through any combination of relevant professional experience, experience in a research setting, formal education, self-guided learning, open source contributions, or public speaking / writing / teaching experience.
- 5+ years experience as an engineer across multiple environments.
- Knowledgeable of object-oriented and/or functional programming patterns and paradigms.
- Display a strong proficiency with Python/Django.
- Ability to work in all areas of the tech stack, including infrastructure through the application layer to client libraries.
- Ability to provide support for any pieces of codebase owned and also understand the codebase with minimal direction from peers or more senior engineers. Strong experience working with relational databases like Postgres and MySQL.
- Proven ability to work on implementation independently.
- Strong experience working with relational databases like Postgres and mySQL.
- Knowledge of various API paradigms such as REST and RPC and can implement them within the services you are developing on.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentorship skills.
Technology we use:
- Our Back End Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python/PostgreSQL. We are moving our Monolith to a Modular Monolith, using Domain Driven Design. When relevant we extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and GoLang. We also use Docker, deploy our apps via Kubernetes. We use Kafka for asynchronous-, and gRPC for synchronous service-to-service communication.
Our Front End Stack is: Our Front End stack is React/Redux, Sass, Jest/React Testing Library/Cypress, and Webpack. We maintain a private npm repository with shareable UI components, utility functions, Babel/ESLint/Prettier configurations, and custom tasks.
Our Data Stack is: Our Monolith Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Redshift as our data warehouse and S3 as our data lake. The data lake is queried using Presto. We use Airflow and Spark for ETL, as well as do some stream processing (Kafka Streams and Spark at the moment). Our Model pipeline uses scikit-learn, pandas. Our analysts utilize Looker as our Business Intelligence tool. And we use Quicksight for Dashboard on our external Data Products.
Our Dev Tools Stack is: AWS+Kubernetes for hosting. Terraform + Helm Charts for IaaS/Deployment. ConcourseCI for CI/CD. Prometheus/Alertmanager/VictorOps for team alerting. We’re starting to work on multi-region available services.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits –
- In the US we cover up to 95% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD.
- Flexible PTO policy and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Annual parking stipend – we help people park!
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
At SpotHero, we Respect Fellow Drivers by providing an inclusive interview experience for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process. Please let our team know of your need when you apply or as you begin interviewing with our team.
Additionally, because we want to Remember to Signal, if you choose to provide us personal information in connection with a job application, please review our Applicant Privacy Notice which provides details about what information we collect and process about you in order to consider your candidacy.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.