At SpotHero, we work as a team to empower people to get everywhere, easier! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
As the leader in this space, SpotHero is in 6,500 parking garages across 300 cities. We have an incredible board, including Sam Yagan, former CEO of Match Group. We’ve announced integrations with Google and Waze, and just acquired a Canadian-based company so that we can expand our global footprint.
SpotHero is seeking a Chief Financial Officer who will serve as a key member of our executive team, collaborating closely with senior leadership to drive company strategy. You will have the exciting opportunity to navigate, lead, and scale the finance department and company to support our hyper-growth company.
CFO Role and Responsibilities:
As CFO, you will be a strong operational business partner, delivering insights across the company and leading a finance and accounting organization that leverages process excellence and automation in preparation for scale. You will have strong financial planning capabilities and bring a strategic dimension to evaluating revenue models, capital expenditure investments, and capital management. You will oversee and build a world class team and have a meaningful impact across the company. Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as a financial business advisor to the CEO and senior leadership team.
- Lead the planning, modeling, controlling, accounting, tax, and reporting activities for the company’s financial operations.
- Proactively direct financial planning and analysis, including the establishment of, and reporting on, key performance metrics, to assist senior leadership and the Board in the ongoing management of operations. Develop budget, projections, and business models that provide short term forecasting and analytics.
- Ensure that the company has the appropriate financial controls, policies, procedures, and systems in place to support its continued growth.
- Manage and ensure a strong and professional working relationship with the Board, banks, external auditors, and the like.
- Transform the finance function so that it becomes a thought leader within the organization and a true business partner, embedded in all operations of the company.
- Continue to refine the finance function, so that it operates as efficiently as possible.
- Working closely with the Board, lead our continuing financing efforts.
- Ensure that the balance sheet is optimized and provides liquidity for strategic investments.
- You will be responsible for overseeing the Accounting, Finance, and Payroll/Benefits functions of the business.
- 15-20+ years of finance and business leadership experience in a fast paced, rapidly growing technology business.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or other related quantitative fields required.
- MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- Experience growing and scaling finance and accounting functions in a mid-stage startup is preferred.
- Operational finance experience is critical, as is a track record of collaborating hand-in-hand with business leaders.
- Equity and debt capital management experience. Prior experience financing a company is strongly preferred, as is technical balance sheet experience.
- Team leadership, preferably of a diffused finance staff of 5+ team members.
- Superior presentation skills and engaging presence to help influence different constituencies and business leaders with varying degrees of financial acumen.
You are intellectually curious, operationally-oriented, and highly collaborative. You handle stressful situations in a professional and balanced manner and will serve as a mentor, leader, and partner across the organization in a dynamic environment. Always willing to roll up your sleeves with an attention to excellence at all levels, you will be a leader when it comes to doing the work and leading the team.
- Process and detail oriented. It is a strong positive if you've been directly responsible for continuing process improvements and scaling a finance/accounting function in a 150+ employee organization.
- In tune with the business operations and how finance can help evolve/grow where the business is going to yield various ROI outcomes.
- Highly analytical and can help transform financial statements and data into meaningful suggestions and insights to help the operating units make the most effective decisions.
- Not afraid to speak your mind and challenge common thought process.
Critical Leadership Capabilities:
- Possesses intellectual curiosity and rigor that can contribute to identifying areas of future opportunity as the company continues to evolve as the leader in the parking industry.
- Ability to effortlessly translate the broad strategies of SpotHero into clear, specific objectives and plans for units and individuals.
- Looks outward as well as 2-3 years onward.
- Enables higher performance by furthering the analytical and commercial capabilities and insights of the finance function and by contributing to operational issues for senior leadership and the Board.
- Knits the finance function into the larger business to drive growth and innovation for SpotHero.
- Proactively seeks to improve processes and implement best in class solutions, especially by means of metrics, dashboards, unit economics, and analytical finance.
- Identifies new processes, procedures, and systems to improve productivity and to make Spothero more efficient.
- Responsible for monitoring and assisting the development of budgets across departments.
- Communicates long-term direction and collaborates with team on how to reach it though open, inquisitive, and constant learning.
- Directs the strategic objectives of SpotHero to the whole team with clear and explicit intent; fostering an enthusiasm for excellence.
- Smart, savvy, inviting, and good-humored. A leader whom people want to approach as a friend, colleague, and mentor.
- Fosters and embodies transparent communication, encouraging self-awareness and leading the team by complementing its strengths and weaknesses.
- Holds team members accountable for their commitments, while also encouraging them to take risks and to try new things to continuously drive growth.
- Highly personable and relationship-driven. Mature and insightful.
- Capable of commanding the respect of colleagues as well as the Board, stakeholders, and other external counterparties. A strong, effective communicator who can tell any story clearly.
What We Are Offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Startup of the Year by Built in Chicago, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
- A workplace recognized as a Best Place to Work by Built In Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, and one of TIME’s 50 Genius Companies.Additionally, because we want to Remember to Signal, if you choose to provide us personal information in connection with a job application, please review our Applicant Privacy Notice which provides details about what information we collect and process about you in order to consider your candidacy.