At SpotHero, we work as a team to empower people to get everywhere, easier! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
We are seeking a Backend Engineer III to join the Money Squad - everyone loves money!
The Money Squad at SpotHero is responsible for powering all things money related. This squad is responsible for writing and supporting the code interfacing with payment processing services to both accept and refund payments from our consumers. Additionally we support internal teams by providing APIs to power things such as the end user’s checkout experience. We don’t stop there, we also work closely with our finance team to ensure they have the data they need to properly balance the books. This Squad cares about quality and SpotHero’s value of #GiveDriversTheRightOfWay, which means to us that we take the Hero in our name seriously, and we go the extra mile to make sure our drivers have an experience we're proud of.
Key Responsibilities (What will you do?)
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- Build and maintain tools and services related to product/engineering squad’s goals.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the team to deliver quality products with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features through the entire stack.
- Ownership of codebase, maintaining it, supporting it, and ensuring it runs consistently.
- Collaborate with all senior and staff level engineers to explore options and help define architecture and design across the engineering organization.
- Work with the Product Management team to ensure requirements are defined correctly. Ability to successfully design sophisticated systems with the help of more senior engineers to ensure proper implementation of design.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- You have strong coding skills and can speak to examples of successful projects that you have worked on and a couple of failed projects that taught you not to build a “perfect” ivory tower that no-one wants to use.
- 3+ years experience as an engineer across a few different environments.
- You are comfortable following an architecture presented to you.
- Knowledgeable of object-oriented and/or functional programming patterns and paradigms.
- Production Experience and development skills in Python/Django/Postgres and/or JVM language/Postgres.
- Ability or desire to work in most areas of the tech stack, including infrastructure through the application layer to client libraries.
- Ability to provide support for any pieces of codebase owned and also understand the codebase with minimal direction from peers or more senior engineers.
- Proven ability to work on implementation independently.
- Developing experience working with relational databases like Postgres and mySQL.
- Knowledge of various API paradigms such as REST and RPC/gRPC and can implement them within the services you are developing on.
- Understanding of double entry accounting is a plus, but not a must have
Seeking Candidates in:
- Chicago, IL
- Toronto, ON
Technology we use:
- Our Back End Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python/PostgreSQL. We are moving our Monolith to a Modular Monolith, using Domain Driven Design. When relevant we extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and GoLang. We also use Docker, deploy our apps via Kubernetes. We use Kafka for asynchronous-, and gRPC for synchronous service-to-service communication.
- Our Front End Stack is: Our Front End stack is React/Redux, Sass, Jest/React Testing Library/Cypress, and Webpack. We maintain a private npm repository with shareable UI components, utility functions, Babel/ESLint/Prettier configurations, and custom tasks.
- Our Data Stack is: Our Monolith Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Redshift as our data warehouse and S3 as our data lake. The data lake is queried using Presto. We use Airflow and Spark for ETL, as well as do some stream processing (Kafka Streams and Spark at the moment). Our Model pipeline uses scikit-learn, pandas. Our analysts utilize Looker as our Business Intelligence tool. And we use Quicksight for Dashboard on our external Data Products.
- Our Dev Tools Stack is: AWS+Kubernetes for hosting. Terraform + Helm Charts for IaaS/Deployment. ConcourseCI for CI/CD. Prometheus/Alertmanager/VictorOps for team alerting. We’re starting to work on multi-region available services.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits –
- In the US we cover up to 95% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company-sponsored Life Insurance, 401K, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada, we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD, and LTD.
- Flexible PTO policy and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Learning Budget + Udemy license - We support the professional and personal growth of our people by providing everyone with learning resources and development opportunities.
- Annual parking stipend – we help people park!
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as CityLights award winner by 1871, 2023 Best Places To Work by BuiltIn, and recipients of the Best Company Culture, Best Company for Women, and Best Company for Diversity awards from Comparably!
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
At SpotHero, we Respect Fellow Drivers by providing an inclusive interview experience for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process. Please let our team know of your need when you apply or as you begin interviewing with our team.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is ineligible for visa sponsorship. To be considered for this role, you must be legally authorized to work in the US or Canada and not require sponsorship for employment now or in the future.