2022 State of Parking Report
Future of the Commute: SpotHero Survey Reveals COVID-19 Transportation Trends
CHICAGO—April 19, 2022—SpotHero, a parking reservation service that lets you find and reserve hourly, monthly, airport and event parking at thousands of lots and garages across North America, today released the results of a new survey gauging Americans’ attitudes toward parking, traveling and commuting in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The survey of 1,000 U.S. adult drivers, conducted in February of 2022, revealed that COVID-19 drastically changed Americans’ mindset on driving. Parking is a source of stress for most drivers, the survey found, but nearly 75% of drivers plan to avoid public transit by driving to work at this stage in the pandemic.
Nonetheless, the drivers surveyed said they expect their commute will be less stressful and greener in the future, with almost 44% of those surveyed preferring to search online with an app for parking and 57.8% of drivers surveyed considering purchasing an electric vehicle (EV) for their next vehicle.
“The COVID-19 pandemic marked a transformation in Americans’ attitudes towards commuting and parking,” said Mark Lawrence, SpotHero Co-founder and CEO. “This survey shows that Americans lose time and face high costs because of trouble they encounter when parking. Now, in the wake of the pandemic, the use of public transit has dropped. The result is that more Americans are using and recommending apps like SpotHero.”
Parking equals stress for most Americans
One striking finding of the survey was just how stressful parking has become for most drivers:
- Half of Americans (48.5%) agree that parking is stressful
- More than a quarter of people would rather listen to Christmas music year-round (30.9%) or go to the dentist (29.6%) than drive around looking for parking
- More than a quarter of people (27.3%) spend at least 30 minutes looking for parking
- 63.5% of people admit to being late because they could not find a parking spot
- Almost half of American drivers (43.4%) admit to getting into a verbal argument with a stranger over parking, and almost half of Americans (43.3%) admit to feeling road rage while parking
A transformation in light of COVID-19
In addition, the pandemic shifted the attitudes of American motorists toward a preference for driving to work:
- Nearly 75% of American drivers plan to avoid public transit by driving to work, a 15% increase compared to 2019
- 83.6% of American drivers in metropolitan areas have chosen to drive over taking public transit
- Convenience was the highest weighted factor when considering transportation, with 53.6% of respondents saying that convenience is a factor “all the time.” Cost was the second highest factor, with 40.5% responding“all the time.”
The future looks greener and more tech savvy
Many American drivers see technology as providing solutions to their current frustrations, with 29.4% preferring to prepay for parking and reserving a spot from their phones. In addition:
- 33.9% of people prefer to search online via an app for parking
- 69.9% of adults would be willing to prepay for parking at a discounted rate
- More than a quarter of people (26.1%) who reserved parking in advance with a service would be extremely likely to recommend that service to a friend or colleague
- 57.8% of drivers surveyed are considering purchasing an electric vehicle (EV) for their next vehicle
- Many consider sustainability “regularly,” with 38.5% of the respondents replying, “all the time”
- Of American drivers in urban areas who drive EVs, a whopping 91.8% would consider paying more for a parking garage retrofitted with an EV charging station
“Technology can relieve much of the burden and stress of parking,” added Lawrence. “A simple app that allows you to find, reserve and pay for a parking spot is key to making an easier commute possible. It provides peace of mind, which is invaluable.”
SpotHero is the digital parking leader and the largest place to buy and sell parking in North America. Millions of drivers use SpotHero’s mobile apps and website to find, book and access off-street parking in over 7,500 locations across 300 cities. Leading mobility companies use the SpotHero developer platform to power seamless parking at scale for fleets, connected cars, and urban mobility solutions. For more information, visit SpotHero.com.